Skip to content
Go to site map

How to Create an EIN and Bank Account

How to Request an Employee Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS

Purpose: Registered student organizations that want to apply for Club Council funding must have an EIN registered with the IRS and an open off-campus bank account. If your organization does not have an EIN then you will need to obtain one - you'll also need one to open a bank account.  Follow the instructions below to complete an application form located on the IRS website.


  1. Complete form SS-4 located on the IRS website
    1. Page 1 Requires Designating Type of Entity
      • Choose Option: “View Additional Types”
  2. Select one of the following based on your club type:
    • “Community or Volunteer Group”
    • “Social or Savings Club“
    • "Sports Teams (Community)”
  3. Provide a mailing address
    • This needs to be a permanent address. Do not use a student address. We suggest using Club Hub's address, because all club mail and checks are deleivered to Club Hub. Address is:
      Full name of the club (no acronyms or abbreviations, or personal names)
      ASU Box 32200
      Boone, NC 28608
    • Or you may discuss it with the advisor and use their departmental address.
  4. Type of Business
    • Select “Other”
      • Select “Organization” and provide a description.
  5. Select to have your EIN either delivered electronically or through the mail

*If your EIN submission is denied, that most likely means there is an entity registered under that name so you'll need to try another name*


  • Some banks require an official document from the university stating that the student organization is officially registered and recognized by AppState. If this is the case, contact Jesse Vinson ([email protected]) in the Campus Activities Office (828) 262-6252- Plemmons Student Union, room 244,  to receive a letter of university recognition that can be taken to the bank. 
  • Then you can go to the bank of your choice with your EIN and the letter from Appalachian along with two co-signers and they will allow you to open a bank account for your club.
  • Some banks charge for business account maintenance so do some research to find a bank that would best suit your organization. Be sure to ask about monthly fees and minimum balance requirements.
  • Don't forget to tranfer the EIN to a current student if the treasuerer/president/VP/ etc leaves. 



If you don't transfer the EIN to the next officer then you might not be able to apply for funding or access your bank account or funds in said accounts.

Contact Us

Rm. 219, Plemmons Student Union
P.O. Box 32200
263 Locust Street
Boone, NC 28608